Policies & Procedures
OECTA – Waterloo Unit shall extend courtesy as per established procedures.
It is the responsibility of the appropriate Executive Councillor or Designate to notify the Unit Office of the need to extend courtesy on behalf of the Unit. Maximum expenditures for courtesy are to be established annually as part of the approval of budget assumptions at the Fall General Meeting.
ILLNESS – OECTA members
After ten (10) working days, flowers, fruit basket or appropriate acknowledgement is to be sent.
A Prayer card is to be sent to the member upon the death of a parent, sibling, in-law, grand-child, grandparent and retired teacher.
Upon the death of a member the following will be done:
-Flowers sent from the Unit to the Funeral Home
-Prayer card from the Unit
-A plaque to be donated to the school in the name of the member
-A maximum of $1,000 over / up to 4 years to be presented to the school staff to assist in memorial project (s). (as per the motion at Spring AGM 2007)
Upon the death of a member’s spouse or child, the following shall be done:
-Flowers or a donation to be sent to the funeral home
-Prayer card from the Unit
MOTION: Upon the death of a student in our system, a donation on behalf of the unit, will be made available to the OECTA Staff Rep. at the student’s school to be given to a suitable cause in memory of the student, and a Prayer Card to be sent to the student’s family. (passed at the Executive Council Meeting of January 19, 1998).
Upon retirement, a member shall receive an acknowledgement from the Unit.
Acknowledgements may be given as deemed suitable by two signing officers of the Unit.
That Waterloo Unit will make donations to other striking OECTA units/branch affiliates. Such donations to be based on the per capita dollar figure of the membership of the striking Unit and the length of the strike.
That the Unit President be authorized to donate to any OECTA Unit/Branch Affiliate on strike for a period of ten (10) or more working days, a maximum sum of five hundred dollars ($500) from Public Relations Account. Further donations to any such groups are to be considered by the Executive Council.
Miscellaneous acknowledgements, as deemed suitable by two signing Officers of the Unit, may be given.
That all members attending Unit business/meetings be paid a travel allowance.
1. The Unit Treasurer is responsible for the approval of claims.
2. Committee Chairpersons shall be responsible for the distribution of travel allowance claim forms and the inclusion of attendance and location in meeting minutes.
3. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the distribution of travel allowance claim forms to Executive Council members and all Officers of the Unit and Branch Affiliates.
4. Travel claims may be made for the trip from one’s place of work or one’s place of residence to the meeting place and the subsequent trip home.
5. Travel allowance will be paid in June. The latest date to submit your mileage in order to receive reimbursement is the day after the last Association Rep meeting.
6. That the President and the Office Manager be reimbursed on a monthly basis.
7. The individual is responsible for submitting claims as per the procedures.
All members attending Unit business/meetings, during non-business hours and INCLUSIVE of General Meetings of the Unit or Branch Affiliates, who have dependants requiring paid care in the absence of the member, shall be entitled to claim DEPENDANT CARE as per the established procedure.
1. Dependant Care will be paid in accordance with the Provincial Dependant Care allowance and based on recorded meeting attendance. Dependant care will be paid in June. The latest date to submit your form in order to receive reimbursement is the day after the last Association Rep meeting (which in 2018 is Monday, June 11).
2. The Unit Treasurer is responsible for approval of claims.
3. Committee Chairpersons shall be responsible for the distribution of Dependant Care forms.
4. Committee Chairpersons shall be responsible for ensuring the inclusion of attendance and location of meeting in meeting minutes.
5. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the distribution of Dependent Care Claim forms to Executive Council members and all Officers of the Unit and Branch Affiliates.
6. The individual is responsible for submitting claims as per the procedures.
7. Spouses are not eligible to receive Dependant Care expenses and older siblings only receive Dependant Care expenses when both parents are participants in an OECTA Activity.
8. The allowance claimable is $10/hr for 1-2 dependants, $20/hr for 3 or more, to a maximum of $40.00 per meeting.
Individual Professional Development Assistance will be granted to any member of OECTA – Waterloo Unit for up to 75% of the registration fee for conferences, workshops and courses according to the established criteria and procedures subject to the Yearly Budget Allotment.
1. The maximum assistance shall be $200.00 (Canadian) over a two (2) year period for each OECTA member for Individual Professional Assistance.
2. Applications must be for individual attendance at a conference/workshop/course.
3. Conference/Workshop/Course must be for the teacher’s own professional development.
4. The National Coaching Certification Program will not be funded.
1. a. Applications will be processed on the 3rd Monday in October and February and the 2nd Monday in June of each year. Payment will be made subsequently.
b. There will be an equitable distribution of monies available for each application date.
c. Unused monies in any application period will be carried forward and split equitably between the remaining time period(s) in the budget year.
d. Applications must be received in the OECTA Office no later than 30 days after the first school day following the workshop / conference.
2. a. The following three items must be submitted at the same time:
ii.PHOTOCOPY OF REGISTRATION RECEIPT
iii.BROCHURE/CONFERENCE/COURSE OUTLINE identifying the registration fee.
b. NO FUNDING WILL BE GRANTED UNTIL ALL THREE ITEMS ARE RECEIVED and you have attended the conference, workshop or course. Forward all of the above in a sealed envelope to the P. D. Committee, c/o Waterloo Unit – OECTA Office.
Individual Assistance Calculation
Upon receipt of all required documents (see 2. a. above) the PD Committee will calculate the Individual Assistance in the following manner:
– registration fee x % determined by the PD Committee based on available funds (up to 75% to a maximum of $200.00 (as per policy statement above))
The PD Committee will calculate the amount of Individual Assistance based on the registration fee.