- This topic is empty.
November 3, 2020 at 11:55 am #52767Angela LockeGuest
by Lisa Ko
- Places: New York State, United States of America, China
- Release date: May 2, 2017
- Language: english
- ISBN: 9781616206888 (1616206888)
- Author: Lisa Ko
- Genres: fiction, contemporary, china, adult, asia, adoption
- Awards: National Book Award Finalist for Fiction (2017), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Fiction & for Debut Goodreads Author (2017), Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature for Literature (2018), PEN/Bellwether Prize for Socially Engaged Fiction (2016), Aspen Words Literary Prize Nominee for Longlist (2018)
- Publisher: Algonquin Books
- Format: hardcover, 338 pages
About The Book
One morning, Deming Guo’s mother, an undocumented Chinese immigrant named Polly, goes to her job at the nail salon and never comes home. No one can find any trace of her.
With his mother gone, eleven-year-old Deming is left with no one to care for him. He is eventually adopted by two white college professors who move him from the Bronx to a small town upstate. They rename him Daniel Wilkinson in their efforts to make him over into their version of an “all-American boy.” But far away from all he’s ever known, Daniel struggles to reconcile his new life with his mother’s disappearance and the memories of the family and community he left behind.
Set in New York and China, The Leavers is a vivid and moving examination of borders and belonging. It’s the story of how one boy comes into his own when everything he’s loved has been taken away — and how a mother learns to live with the mistakes of her past.
This powerful debut is the winner of the 2016 PEN/Bellwether Prize for fiction, awarded by Barbara Kingsolver for a novel that addresses issues of social justice.
Online The Leavers by Lisa Ko download for iPhone. Paperback book The Leavers on Booktopia. TXT ebook The Leavers Lisa Ko read online. FB2 book The Leavers buy on Mac on Audible.