Monday October 4, 2021

Virtual Zoom meeting

4:30 p.m.


1.       Call to Order: Land Acknowledgement, Prayer and Pledge

Land Acknowledgment

We recognize and deeply appreciate the historic connection of Ontario’s Indigenous peoples, and the contribution that Metis, Inuit, and other Indigenous peoples have made, both in shaping and strengthening our province, and our country as a whole.  As settlers, this recognition of the contributions and historic importance of Indigenous peoples must also be clearly and overtly connected to our collective commitment to make the promise and the challenge of Truth and Reconciliation real in our communities.


Creator God, we praise you, the source of all life. Renew our faith and guide us in our ministry as Catholic teachers. Let us touch the hearts and minds of those with whom we work.

Lord Jesus, share with us your counsel so we may choose knowledge over ignorance, wisdom over waste, peace over injustice, community over isolation and service over domination.

Holy Spirit, nurture our growth. Inspire us to give birth to the creative powers within us. Let us come to the fullness of life promised in the Gospel. Amen.


3.         Consideration of Agenda:

            Motion:                       Carol Knight/ Jeannette Cowen

                                    “That the agenda of the Unit Executive Meeting of

                        Monday October 4, 2021 be accepted as received.”


4          Consideration of Minutes:

  • Minutes of previous Unit Executive Meeting(s)

Motion:           Sonya Diniz/ Maria Sousa- Rovers

                        “That the minutes of the Unit Executive Meeting of

                        Monday Sept. 13, 2021 be accepted as received.”


5.         CAR Chair: Amy Tuka

6.         Report of Unit Executive Officers  

(a)      Report of the President – Patrick Etmanski

  • Changes to Unit Executive
    • OT Councilor to become Councilor-at-Large?
    • Potential replacement for OT Councilor?
    • OT Secretary?

The president referenced his report and the changes the unit executive will have to make due to permanent hiring of an occasional executive. He congratulated Aaron for being a full-time teacher. Aaron will be appointed as a Councilor-at-Large. At the CAR meeting Patrick will put the name of Aaron to be the councilor- at-large and the VP Occasional will put forth the name of Colette Baker as an OT Councilor for the UE.

This week, the director of education asked the president to co-write a letter for World Teacher Day. The president turned down this opportunity to write a joint communication for World Teacher Day. The director did not understand why because members are happy with the board. The president disagrees and has created a survey to show the director how teachers feel. The president created and sent out a survey to explore how the members feel about the board. The president went through the responses.

(b)      Report of Treasurer – Mark Devlin

  • Questions to report emailed earlier 

The treasure referenced his report. The expenses for this month include the T-shirts. However, the treasure explained that the T- shirts raised a lot of donations for the aboriginal organization. The cost of the release officers is also being taken off this month. The reserve fund is being created at TD this week. The finance committee is meeting this week to figure out how much to put in the account.

Costs this month: T-shirts=$4738, Taxes=$5362, Telecom=$1695, Release Officers=$362,296

  • Report of Vice President – Elementary – Simon Dallimore
  • Questions to report emailed earlier

The VP Elementary referenced his report. The VP Elementary discussed his day today and the collective agreement. The VP discussed the need for a return to work meeting between the member and the board. This has not been happening and he will continue to push the board for these meetings.

  • Report of Vice President – Secondary – Dave Geraghty
  • Questions to report emailed earlier 

The VP Secondary referenced his report. School lunch breaks are a problem in Secondary. The board is thinking about a staggered lunch. The board and OECTA is looking for a solution to the lunch period problem.

Hybrid learning is also a major problem. The board has allowed a variety of options for students to go online for hybrid learning. The board is willing to allow a variety of students to go online with little rationale.  

Health and Safety. Only a few students can be exempt by the mask rule. However, staff are stating that some special education students are not wearing masks and are spitting on staff. The board is trying to hire new support staff to help with this problem.

 No exams in secondary. OECTA is looking into this. The VP Secondary stresses that there are a lot of grievances. The VP Secondary explained that the board is pushing for in school learning.

Q: What about Co-vid messages not explaining if it is a staff member or student?

A: The board should be providing more information. The unit is calling the Ministry of Labour about this issue.

  • Report of Vice President Occasional  – Jeannette Cowen  
  • Questions to report emailed earlier 

The VP Occasional referenced her report. The maternity grievance impact over 100 OTs. The VP is asking any members who have had a baby in last year to email her. Benefits are another important issue and the definition and language around benefits has been revisited. OTs that might think they qualify for benefits should email the VP Occasional.

7.         Labour Report:

            Jeannette and Aaron will represent OECTA at the annual labour meeting.

8.         Committee Reports:  Written reports may be submitted for inclusion in the “Report of All.”  Minutes will be posted on website for review prior to the meeting.  Questions can be brought to liaison at this time

9.         New Business:

10.       Adjournment:   5:30 P.M.

          Next Meeting dates:

Association Representatives                      

Monday October 18, 2021                            

Hybrid – ZOOM / in-person

4:30 p.m.

Please register for ZOOM using this link:

Or, email office@waterloocatholicteachers.ca if you’d like to attend in-person                                           

Unit Executive

Monday November 1, 2021

Hybrid – ZOOM / in-person

4:30 p.m.

Please register for ZOOM using this link:

Or, email office@waterloocatholicteachers.ca if you’d like to attend in-person                                           

Similar Posts